This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Please note that the surgery will be closed on Friday 19th and Monday 22nd April 2019 for the Easter bank holiday.

If you need urgent medical attention whilst we are closed, please refer to the ‘when we are closed’ section of the website.

All patients at Garswood Surgery have been allocated a named GP. Your named GP is either;

Dr H Parr

Dr D Lawson


Dr A Newton.

Please ask at Reception if you would like more Information.


Unfortunately  the Practice cannot register patients from Billinge Surgery, at this time.  This is being constantly reviewed, but the partners do not feel that it is appropriate at this time. 

Need Urgent Dental Care?

If you need help with an urgent dental problem, call our helpline, available from 9am to 9:30pm everyday, including weekends and Bank Holidays.

0161 476 9651 (Local Rate)

Local dental providers offer NHS urgent dental clinics across Cheshire and Merseyside, with urgent appointments for patients who need urgent treatment, advice and support on dental queries or referral to other services.

The service is provided according to strict clinical criteri

a and when you call you'll be assessed by a member of our clinical team to make sure your problem come under either:

  • Trauma - this is usually caused by a blow to the face, a lost filling is not classed as a trauma.
  • Swelling of the face
  • Bleeding, uncontrolled, such as after an extraction
  • Pain that can't be controlled by pain relief medicines.

If you're given an appointment and your problem doesn't fit of the above, you'll still have to pay the NHS fee but may receive advice and not treatment.

Clinic times vary.and at busy times or when your local clinic's not available you may be offered an appointment at an alternative location.

Please not: this is an appointment only service - we do not operate a "drop in" service at any of our surgeries

Other Useful Information

Dealing with a Bereavement

If Death Occurs At Home

  1. Telephone the patient’s doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
  2. Contact a funeral director.
  3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
  4. Take this to the Registrar’s Office, (together with the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient Registrar’s Office but certificates will not be available as these will have to be posted to you a few days later.
  5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).

If The Death Occurs In Hospital

  1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
  2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above

Note For Cremation

Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.

Admiral Nurses

Admiral nurses are mental health nurses specialising in Dementia care in the community.

The Garswood knitting and crochet group

TwiddlemuffThis group of volunteers meet weekly to knit bonnets for new born babies in Africa and ‘Twiddle Muffs’ (see right) which are offered to people suffering from the later stages of Dementia. The Twiddle Muff is, as the name suggests, a simple muff which people can use to keep their hands warm but it also provide simple and relaxing stimulation to people in the later stages of dementia as it is covered with colourful buttons, bits of ribbon, etc which a demented person can ‘twiddle’.

A twiddle muff knitted by the group found its way into a nursing home in Ireland. It was so well receive they have started to produce their own muffs.

If you have any spare wool that you no longer need please drop it in at the surgery reception. We will ensure it is passed onto the group who are always very grateful for any donated wool.

Activities for People with Dementia 

This is a very informative and useful downloadable booklet developed by Alzheimer Scotland. It is designed to help carers cope with the challenges of caring for a person with Dementia.

Local Voluntary Event(s)

Making Sense, Dementia Support Group

Military Veterans

Access to Health Services

NHS Patients’ Rights

Advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau

Baby care

Thinking about breastfeeding?

Respite Grants

The Linen and Woollen Stock Charity

This local charity can help towards providing respite care for those living within the Ashton area (Stubshaw, Bryn, North Ashton, Garswood and Pewfall are included). This may be by providing money to the carer or the persons they care for towards a holiday or some other respite care or provision up to a total of £500.

Respite grants aim to give people a break, especially when a carer is under pressure from long hours caring for someone with a disability or long-term illness.

Individuals can make application on their own behalf, but all cases brought this way will need to be investigated. Alternatively, ministers of religion, charitable organisations and local government bodies themselves can make an application on behalf of a client of theirs if they have somebody specifically in mind for a grant. Grants made through agencies and ministers, etc., do not require additional validation.

Application forms and further information can be requested via email to the or by letter to the Clerk at 31 Satinwood Close, Ashton in Makerfield, Wigan, WN4 9NL or Tel: 01942 273721.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website